Friday, April 17, 2009

Can You Keep A Secret?

I sometimes find it very difficult to digest "secrets". When people tell me "keep this to yourself" or "don't tell anyone" or "don't tell so & so", then next thing I know, the person him/herself already told someone. 

I do that sometimes. I understand that the person who "owns" the secret have the rights to tell whoever they like. But what do secrets really mean? 

I would usually assume, secrets are meant to be told to people that you trust to keep the secret. So if it's really such a secret, why tell anyone at all? because as humans, we would like to tell someone or at times you are forced to tell it because you were caught "doing" the secret. 

After telling someone, should we still classify it as a "secret"?

I'm keeping a lot of secrets. At times, the secret can be such a burden. My husband is the only one that I trust to keep secrets and I guess the feeling is mutual. Whenever I feel overloaded with secrets, he would be the one that I turn to. The other person that I turn to is God because God was listening when the secret was told. 

Sometimes I wonder whether I should break the rule and don't keep the information concealed for the benefit of the other person that is involved. In the end, I won't say a word about it because I was told to keep it a secret.

Why can't everyone just be open of how they feel about things? Then there won't be any secrets. Then life would be less stressful.

But somehow I know why secrets are secrets because not everyone knows how to handle the truth. 

Some are still living in an artificial world, not wanting to face reality. 

Some can't handle reality so they choose to be ignorant or they would just "change the topic". 

Some just love being the "right one" or the "victim" because they always feel that they are. 

Some are always in denial of their faults and point the finger back to the person. 

Some just can't be bothered.

Some secrets are secrets because the secret may hurt the one they love or add additional stress to their loved ones.

Perhaps that's why humans are not that open about their feelings or about what they have done. 

So that's why we all have our secret, the only person who knows all our secrets is God.

Can I keep a secret? Yes, I can but don't expect me to just absorb your secret. I would sincerely tell you how I feel about the "secret". :)

No comments: