Thursday, September 15, 2011

Malaysia Day

I'm always happy that it's a 4work day week. Who isn't? An extra day to spend time with the family and to do whatever you like.

I've been pretty amazed by how much my son's play school preach about loving Malaysia. In my opinion, at this age of mine, most of the time I only hear people complaining about the country and yet, they are still in the country or they are not even registered for election.

Political views aside. I appreciate how much the teachers in my son's play school has taught him since our National Day.
 
They taught him how to make a Malaysia flag
(yes, he's only 21 months old, he won't remember but some things you have to start young!)

Also made a card dedicated to Malaysia...

 I think this idea is really sweet...

And today, they organized a party to celebrate Hari Raya, Mid-Autumn Festival, Deepavali and Malaysia Day.


 Three different celebration. (top to bottom: Hari Raya, Mid-Autumn Festival & Deepavali)

Teaching the next generation about other races' celebration may be something very difficult for parents in my generation because there is so much "friction" involved that sometimes I wonder if that's what they really want to teach their children.

I grew up with multi-racial friends. I have bestfriends who are Malay, Indian and Chinese. I grew up without anyone instilling any "negative thoughts" about other races. I hope that my child (children) will be able to have the same kind of mentality.

After all, these little ones will be influenced by us. Just like this little boy who had to wear a chinese costume to school today (he refuses to wear nicer pants) but all he wants to do is play with toys.


Happy Malaysia Day! (for a day, stop complaining and enjoy the day. Life is a lot less stressful.)

**This post does not indicate that I'm choosing sides in terms of political views. It's just merely a thought that came to me when I saw how much my son's play school is teaching them about patriotism at such a young age. Your opinion may differ, so does mine. :)

3 comments:

Small Kucing said...

Happy Malaysia Days to you too

Unknown said...

Happy holiday n happy baking...take care drink some herrbal tea yeah....cos baking will make u heaty.

cikumuffin said...

Happy Malaysia Day to you girls too! A little too late but I guess every day is Malaysia day? :D

Ya, need to drink "hor yan ho"... :O