Tuesday, June 19, 2012

All sorts of excuses

My hubby and I never did a run together. Yup, I've known him for 9 years and I haven't gone for a run with him. I picked up running before marriage but the running bug did not bite hubby (then boyfriend).  When the running bug actually bit him, our child was already 2 years old and we can't possibly leave him alone at home. Of course my son is superbly sticky to me, so I can't leave him before he wakes up. The person who he sees once he's awake will suffer. 

One fine evening, we manage to steal some time and do a run together. Decided to run at the TTDI Park. (I honestly dislike running in circles but going out for a road run in the evening, ain't that safe cause of the heavy KL traffic.)

I gave up after 3 rounds (this is how weak my mind can be when running around the park) and I knew my hubby would ask.. "Why did you stop so fast?" and "How come you don't push yourself to run faster?".

So I prepared myself and answered:

Excuse #1: Aiya.. not used to running the evening. SO HOT!!!
 Can't you tell how hot it was by the picture? No? 
Anyway, I actually prefer doing runs in the morning. I'm an early bird so I really don't mind pulling myself out of bed just to clock in a run.

Excuse #2: I didn't wear a lighter top. Should have worn my favourite running jersey.
This excuse would have my hubby go .. YAA!
 because he wasn't wearing a light top too.
WHHOOOOPPSS!

Excuse #3: His feet are at least 4 sizes bigger than mine!
So every step he takes is actually a slight second faster and every hundred steps will make him a whole lot faster. I know, I can hear you shouting...SO LAME!!

 Excuse #4: His legs are at least a quarter longer than mine. He is after all 21cm taller than me!
Of course he can beat me by a good minute per km. 

Excuse #5: I did 3km in 21minutes and burnt 320kcal.
Ok what. I kept my time at 7 minutes per km and burnt my breakfast. 
( I ate two slices of plain wholemeal bread for breakfast.)

After runs, people would usually go for Isotonic drinks. I would always prefer water but hubby would always need "salt". So he gets Gatorade.


 Here's a fact.. after burning 320kcal. you can have about 13 bottles of these..

but of course, who on earth would drink 13 bottles of Gatorade just because they did a run right? One bottle would have quenched your thirst.

We are going to do our first road run together at Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2012. I won't be expecting hubby to keep me company throughout the run. Men can always do faster and better. I'm only hoping to be able to beat my own record that is to complete 10km in less than 1:19hours.

Wish me GOOD LUCK!

Cikumuffin is concern that she hasn't done more than 5km before the run and it's only 5 days away. YIKES!

No comments: