Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How to conceive

Before we got married, my husband & I planned to start a family in 2010. Meaning we would only try to conceive after June 2009.

After we got married, our plans sort of diverted. After hearing so many cases of people wanting to conceive but yet they can't because they have been "avoiding" it. We both thought that we shouldn't wait.

So I went to do a Pap Smear test just to ensure that I'm healthy to conceive. I went to a normal clinic and the Dr performed a ThinPrep Pap Test instead. I bled after the test and the Dr was quite concerned. The nurse gave me a sanitary pad and the Dr told me to just wait outside to see if the blood would subside.

To my dismay, I didn't stop bleeding. Initially, I thought it was normal.The Dr mentioned that it should stop bleeding in 2-3hours. If it doesn't and your report comes out negative, I would have to refer you to a gynae that specializes in cervical cancer. The "C" word was very sensitive to me as my dad was recently diagnosed with cancer.

I was disturbed the whole day. Told my husband. He asked me to just be calm and wait for the results. I know that it disturbs him too but I guess one of us have to be calm.I was contemplating whether to break the news to my parents.

I finally told my parents and they were very supportive and told me not to worry too much.

The next morning, I woke up with fresh blood stain! I was very alarmed and immediately informed my parents. My mum suggest that I see my gynae immediately.

I followed her advise. Told my colleagues of my situation. My mum came with me to show "support".

My gynae was very calm when I told him about the whole procedure. He just checked my cervix, did an ultrasound and he told me that the bad news is "You are healthy!". The good news is "You are healthy to conceive!". I wish I could hug him but all I could say was, "That's not bad news!" He just smiled at me.

He told me to just wait for the report and he's 90% sure that the report won't find anything negative. :)

Since I told him that I'm trying to conceive, he gave me a few tips. He asked me a few questions:
1) Is your menstrual cycle regular? YES
2) Were you on any contraceptive pills? NO
3) Is your husband with you every day? NO

He continued to say that I don't "need" my husband every day. Since I have a regular menstrual cycle, it is very easy. He told me to have a habit to mark the first day of my menstrual on my calender. Then start counting. On the 11th day up to the 21st day, I'll "need" my husband every other day.

He was so confident that he said I'll see you within 6 months. If it doesn't work, it's probably something wrong with your husband.

Well, we'll see if the "strategy" works!

No comments: