Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What is not right, must be corrected!

It just came to my mind that I should share with everyone about this experience that I had at Mid Valley yesterday.

I was surveying Air Purifiers for my dad. I went into this electrical shop and I was shocked to see a notice on 2 of their air purifiers saying "NO STOCK. SORRY FOR UNCONVINENT."

I decided to write a note to the manager. I wrote:
Dear Manager,

I was browsing through your Air Purifiers selection and I saw this notice "NO STOCK. SORRY FOR UNCONVINENT."

Firstly, there is no such word as "unconvinent". To avoid further embarrassment, I suggest that you change the notice to "OUT OF STOCK. SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE CAUSED."

Yours sincerely,
Your caring customer (Yi Lei)

------------------------------------------------
I left my mobile number on the note. I asked one of their staff where their store manager is. They all looked so puzzled and one of them came up to me. I asked "Are you the manager?"
He said "No. but why do you want to see the manager?"
I told him "I would like to pass this note to him." and showed him that small piece of paper.
He said "Oh. Why? Why?" (in a panicky tone)
Immediately, I recognized that he was worried that I'm writing a letter of complaint.
I told him "If you didn't do anything wrong, you shouldn't be afraid of this small piece of paper. Anyway, just pass this piece of note to your manager. Thank you." I left with a smile.

5 minutes later the store manager called me to thank me for my note. I told him that I just couldn't stand the fact that an electrical shop as famous as yours make such a mistake. Just take note of any notice that you put up in future. He thanked me and our conversation ended.

I believe that when a person makes a mistake, we should help them correct it. We don't only tell them that they are wrong but we also suggest how they can do it differently or how they can correct it.

Don't just criticize and leave the person blank, not knowing what to do to correct his/her mistake. It's the worst feeling a person can ever feel.

As a person who preaches about Service Quality, naturally I believe that a customer who complain & tell you how to make it right for them, is the most valuable customer. They are more valuable than customers who stay silent and don't tell you what you have done that is good/bad. They will just watch you making the same mistake over and over and over again. There are some customers who just love to complain but they won't tell you what they want. These customers are the ones that we need to filter their complaints correctly as it may be demotivating by just listening to them.

I do hope that people will tell me when I make a mistake and help me by giving me suggestions on how I can do it differently. Only then, I will grow to be a better person.

3 comments:

Ee said...

Dear Sis,

What you did is a great example to our children. I will share this with my students.

Growing to be a better person is something I have learned in the past 9 years living abroad. Every day, I hope that I will learn something about myself and how I put myself inside this society.

Whenever my students make a mistake and they apologize, I will tell them that their apology must come with changes. I also tell them the changes will take some time but at least in their conscious mind, they know that they need to change.

When I told them that, I tell myself the same thing too. When I apologize to someone, I hope that I will not repeat the same mistakes. But Rome was not made in one day, so my changes will come after a few more mistakes and hopefully just a few more.

On this side of the situation, I will try hard to make a difference. To my friends or people who pointed out my mistakes, I will hope that they will patiently wait for the difference.

Love you, sis!!

Anonymous said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

cikumuffin said...

Hey there,

Thanks for following my blog. :)