Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hari Merdeka!

Can you recall what you did over the Merdeka weekend?

I had an interesting one. One which ended with me being hospitalized!

Yes, my record was broken. After proclaiming not visiting the hospital for more than 2 years. I had to be rushed into the hospital on the 31st of August 2009.

Why was I hospitalized? FOOD POISONING! (what's new?)

I was enjoying the long weekend just like everybody else and on Monday evening, my tummy just had to react to whatever food that I ate.

We were a little more afraid this time because I'm pregnant. My mum especially kept persuading me to see the Dr once I started feeling uncomfortable. So I succumb to her persuasion and decided to go to the hospital. (My gyane's clinic is closed on Public Holidays.)

The Dr in the Emergency Room was calm and called my gynae to inform him of my situation. Since I didn't come in with fever, diarrhea, or vomiting, I was told that I should just take some medicine and rest at home.

I was happy that I didn't have to check into the hospital or take any injection. (oh wait, I'm pregnant, so no injection allowed!)

Went home and I still felt horrible. Just less than 5 minutes at home, I threw up and purged! I'm cursed! After 2 rounds of the same thing, everyone begin to worry and we decided to go to the hospital once again.

The same Dr was still there and I just gave him a weak smile and say "I'm back! Looks like I have to check myself in!"
He said.. "Aaahhh.. vomited & diarrhea?" I just nodded and added.. three times!

He just replied.. "We will have to keep you here then." I just sighed.

At that time I just wish there was an injection that I could take. So I asked the Dr & nurses if there's any pain killer for pregnant woman.. the answer was "Yes! Panadol!"
I went.. "YAY? Panadol? That's it? sigh."

I also went in with a fever and that got the Dr worried. I was admitted into the Labour ward and assigned to be taken care by a Gastroentologist instead of my gynae cause my pregnancy was doing good.

The Dr assigned was very hardworking. He came in to check on me at almost midnight! I was very surprised because usually Drs will only come and see me the next morning. (Yes, this is how often I've been to the hospital that I know when the Drs will come and see me for the first time since admission.)

Even after purging for 10times throughout the wee hours & the next morning, the Dr was reluctant to put me on drugs especially antibiotic. He only gave me the necessary and on the 2nd day he had to succumb to giving me antibiotic because I had high fever for a few hours and I felt very cold & weak.

Once I was on antibiotic, I felt much better. No longer weak, could even tell the Dr that I don't want anymore drips and any medication that I don't feel like taking.

After spending nights in the hospital, the Dr finally gave me the green light to be discharged even though I was still purging. He told me to just monitor myself and be sure that I don't have fever.

The next day, purging finally stopped. We also went to see my gynae to ensure that my pregnancy was doing well.

My pregnancy was not affected at all. Thank God for that! Our baby was behaving very well. (At the hospital, the nurses do come in to monitor the babys' heartbeat every day.)

I was also told that all the medication given to me was safe to be taken during pregnancy. :)

That's how my Merdeka weekend ended! I hope yours was sweeter than mine!


P/S: I have to mention that my husband have been the best when I went through this. He stayed over with me for a few nights, keeping me company throughout the day, even though it's not the most comfortable since he only gets a lazy chair to sleep on instead of an extra bed. He felt guilty that he had to go back to work before I was discharged but I understood his situation. Thanks darling! *hugs*

No comments: